Saturday, December 4, 2010

just being here

i wondered if i was numb
as i laid nestled
in the curve of your arm,
breathing the air you expelled,
your parted lips shaped in a half smile;
and for a moment,
i believed i could understand why
you looked so content
just being here.

if only i could be here with you,
in this moment,
forgetting all the chaos
that distorts the world when we wake
and makes things raw again,
i would be free.

but i am here
rummaging through
the drawers of my mind,
looking for a veil large enough to
conceal the ocean of insecurities
churning behind my eyes,
and still wondering why
you looked so content
just being here.

2010 Helena Malheur

3 comments:

  1. Lovely poem with beautiful expression.. touched me..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand this so well and have been there myself. To live in the moment is one of the hardest things to do. To live in the moment is one of the best gifts we can offer ourselves though.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome constructive critisism; I am not fragile so go for it -- tell me what you really think!